Sunday, January 3, 2010

Vermicomposting

Of all the garden-related topics I have been researching, this is probably the most interesting for my kids. Vermicomposting, composting with worms, is so cool! I ordered 300 worms on-line and when they arrive we will put them in a bin where they can be used to create nutrient rich compost for our garden. I have a small metal garbage can in my kitchen that we have been using to collect materials for the compost bin, but now we can dump the can into the worm bin for them to work through. We can also give them pieces of old newspapers, dryer lint, and junk mail.

1/15 Update...the worms have arrived and are in their new homes! I put 100 worms in each of our compost bins, and 100 worms in the cool vermicomposting bin we made.

No comments:

Post a Comment