Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Boundaries

I have spent a major part of my life believing that saying "No" is not being friendly or cooperative, however, I have learned that having boundaries is essential to keeping myself in balance and in control of my time. How many times have I agreed to do something with someone or for someone just because I was trying to be accomodating? And how many of those times did I end up backing out in the end? If only I had the strength to have said "NO" in the first place, I would have saved myself anxiety, and probably given the person an opportunity to ask someone else.
By setting boundaries, we are setting aside the time and energy that we require to stick to our prorities. Not everyone has the same needs, but knowing what they are is essential. As a working mother with 2 children, I need to be sure that I set aside time each evening for laundry, helping with homework, caring for my animals, and a few minutes alone with each of my children, with Lee, and by myself. That doesn't leave time during the week for much else. When I commit myself to other people during that time, it takes away from my priorities at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment