Thursday, January 7, 2010

Bunnies

Things are going well with our 2 new additions. Claire is about 3 months old and is full grown..but she is so small and looks like a baby! Little Bear is brown/black and about 6 weeks old. He is smaller than Claire, but will probably grow to be a little larger than her. I ordered 2 books on raising rabbits on Amazon.com that just arrived today, so I have some reading to do about breeding and other general rabbit raising issues. Both of the bunnies were afraid of us at first because they had not been handled by the breeder, but we were not discouraged because bunnies are tamed reasonably easy. I have been holding them 2-3 times a day for about 5 minutes each and I am excited to report that they are already becoming more comfortable around us. Tonight when I put them back in the cage they did not try to run to the back like they have always done. They actually stayed by my hand and let me continue to pet them! I look forward to continued progress...the next step is leash training. Maggie and Miles are very gentle with them and soon they will be able to take them out of the cage by themselves. I am currently the one catching them, but I predict that they will be tame enough for the kids within the next 3-4 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment